Forced Scheduling

Leave constructive criticism about an examiner.

Forced Scheduling

Postby Nannynurse » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:15 am

Have any of you had a PC insist on scheduling your appointments from one end of several counties to the other and back again in the same day? If you are a contractor and not an employee, did you notify the PC that the IRS does not allow this because it exerts "Behavioral Control" over you? Did they cut you off because you notified them they were not in compliance with IRS regulations concerning this? If a PC forces your scheduling I encourage you to go to http://www.irs.gov and enter "Contractor" in the search block. Complete Form SS-8 for the IRS to make a determination. If the IRS determines you are a contractor, the PC is subject to pay your self employment tax, other taxes, interest and penalties. They must also offer you employee benefits. Do you realize if you drive 30 miles at 55 cents per mile, it cost you $16.50. If you get paid $30.00 for the exam, you just made $13.50 for about two hours of your time or $6.75 per hour. Now deduct your office phone, cell phone, office supplies and other related expenses and you are making less than minimum wage. As long as you allow a PC to intimidate and control you, you will continue to work for nothing. You may be an excellent examiner, but if you are not a smart business person, you are working yourself into the poor house. I personally will not allow this. I encourage each of you to take action. If we act together, we can stop this particular PC from scheduling us in an inefficient manor. Please sent me your comments.
Nannynurse
Nannynurse

Re: Forced Scheduling

Postby liliesplace » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Why don't you just leave them. Go with other companies.
liliesplace

Postby happyexaminer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:35 am

I agree. Find another company to contract with. I've have three companies come after me because I have such a good reputation in the area. I contract with APPS, SMM, and Portamedic. Turned down EMSI. Portamedic offers managed scheduling, but I don't want it. They can't make me! Your math is faulty on the amount we make per hour. I write off my mileage, cell phone, and home office expenses, etc. which cuts down on my expenses. And if you're not keeping track of your mileage and other expenses to deduct on your taxes, why aren't you?

Maybe you need to look for another job. You don't sound very happy as an examiner. As for me-- see my screen name! 12 years today.
happyexaminer

Postby crystal234 » Sat May 09, 2009 11:17 am

[They must also offer you employee benefits. Do you realize if you drive 30 miles at 55 cents per mile, it cost you $16.50. If you get paid $30.00 for the exam, you just made $13.50 for about two hours of your time or $6.75 per hour. Now deduct your office phone, cell phone, office supplies and other related expenses and you are making less than minimum wage. As long as you allow a PC to intimidate and control you, you will continue to work for nothing. You may be an excellent examiner, but if you are not a smart business person, you are working yourself into the poor house. I personally will not allow this. I encourage each of you to take action. If we act together, we can stop this particular PC from scheduling us in an inefficient manor. Please sent me your comments.
Nannynurse[/quote]
Nannynurse you have made excellent points!.. I think ...no I know many examiners don't take this is consideration. AS an employee, independent contractor / entrepreneur should be able to make enough money (or profit) for the job that they do without having to rely on write-offs or using a second income to offset the paramed buisness. If you are not a smart business person you will work yourself right into the poor house. You will have nothing to show for it. :evil:
Thank you. This post is so very on point. It is at the heart of the problem with this business.

I really wish we as examiners could have an open conversation about this.
crystal234

Postby lady79 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:40 pm

I also agree with Nanny :cry:
lady79

Postby toosuper52 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:10 am

My PC bullied me when I was new, forcing me to work one Saturday and one Sunday a month and nights. Now, i do what I want. I'm a good examiner. If they cut back on my cases, its their loss. I have been saying for a long time that we need to unionize. The Nurses union may be willing to take us on as an adjunct. I'm all for it!
toosuper52

Postby Vampire1981 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:06 am

Nannynurse! good points ,just new to hhere and reading all the posts. Forced scheduling, you mean the vendor provides days and times correct? I hate that and have left several companies for that. I am my own scheduler and enjoy that freedom! good points you made!
Vampire1981

Return to Negative