How many Fainters have you had?

Start a discussion on anything you want!

How many Fainters have you had?

Postby mussery44 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:26 pm

how often do people faint when work is done on them?
mussery44

Re: How many Fainters have you had?

Postby carolinaexaminer » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:04 pm

Mostly men! LOL but I usually can see it coming on so I talk them out of it so to speak. :)
carolinaexaminer

Postby butterfly » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:25 pm

Most of mine have been fainters in the past, so i just lay them down on their couch when I draw the blood and that usually keeps them from fainting. If they do faint they are already down and I just let them lie there.
butterfly

Postby DanB » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:44 am

butterfly wrote:Most of mine have been fainters in the past, so i just lay them down on their couch when I draw the blood and that usually keeps them from fainting. If they do faint they are already down and I just let them lie there.

That is a great idea.
DanB
Site Admin

Postby TrsExams » Mon May 12, 2008 1:57 pm

I have found that talking them through it helps a lot. They just need to be distracted from what's happening to them!
TrsExams

Postby medic_exam » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:59 am

I've had about 4...all men! I've had others get close... sweaty, lips and fingernails blue, nauseous....ALWAYS ask the person if they get lightheaded or dizzy from needles!!!!! If they say yes, as noted already, the draw should be done laying down or in a recliner. If someone begins to go on you who said they never did before, immediately stop the draw, take the needle out, tourniquet off, and get behind them and support them under the arms. Then when they come out of it, head between the knees(head lower than heart) until they feel better, usually 3-5 minutes. Do not let them stand up, and do not leave their home until their blood pressure has returned to normal. this is the biggest exposure an examiner has to law suits.
medic_exam

Postby GoGo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:43 pm

medic_exam wrote:I've had about 4...all men! I've had others get close... sweaty, lips and fingernails blue, nauseous....ALWAYS ask the person if they get lightheaded or dizzy from needles!!!!! If they say yes, as noted already, the draw should be done laying down or in a recliner. If someone begins to go on you who said they never did before, immediately stop the draw, take the needle out, tourniquet off, and get behind them and support them under the arms. Then when they come out of it, head between the knees(head lower than heart) until they feel better, usually 3-5 minutes. Do not let them stand up, and do not leave their home until their blood pressure has returned to normal. this is the biggest exposure an examiner has to law suits.

You sound like an expert. Is most of that from experience or part of your training? Where were you trained?
GoGo

Postby iac-Nancy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:49 pm

I have found that most "fainters" are Young Males, usually Age 20 - 35

You can usually notice their 'anxiety' before the Blood Draw!

While drawing the blood, I try to make them talk to me ... "What kind of work do you do?" "What is (are) your children's ages and names". Just something to keep them focused on something Other than the Blood Draw. (If they are Talking, they aren't Holding Their Breath)

Usually, they don't get "Faint" until just after the blood draw. (It's a matter of adrenaline rush and decline)

Watch Their Face COLOR. (PINK is good --- Grey-Green is Bad )

IF the Face Color is bad ... get them to the floor, couch, chair, etc. Ask the Wife, Mother, or any other person that is handy, to get a glass of orange juice, sweet drink, etc.

The applicant, "Patient" might convulsive. (Twitches, sweating, rolling eyes, etc.) Just make sure that they are breathing.

They should 'revive' within a few minutes.

If so, let them sip a sweet drink and talk to them until they feel 'normal' again.

Have them Sit Up with feet on the floor for a few minutes Before they try to stand!

I usually call these people later (within 1 - 2 hours) to check on them.

I have 2-5 "fainters" per year. It's always "Dramatic" for the spouse. Be "Professional".
iac-Nancy

Postby girlparamed » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:30 am

Some people are just not honest about their fear of needles, or may not know that they will pass out. If you're observant you can usually figure it out even if after you ask them prior to the draw if they are freaked out by having their blood drawn.
That being said, if I get any inkling that someone may pass out, even if they say that they just get a little woozy, this is what I do--BEFORE THE DRAW.
I have them lay down on a sofa, legs propped up higher than the heart. I ask them if they have something sweet in the fridge to drink, and get a cold washcloth for standby.
Takes a little extra time but I have NEVER had anyone pass out when I pull out all the stops first, even if the person says that they usually do pass out during a blood draw.
Some people get a little embarrassed that I do all of this, but it's for the greater good and they usually get that.
If it appears that they are not going to pass out or get dizzy, you still need to pay attention during the draw. Skin temperature is a big one. Getting hot and clammy is the first sign that things might go towards passing out.
Talking them through the whole thing is essential as well. If you have someone who is a chronic fainter they won't be able to pay attention to what you're saying but it's a distraction nonetheless.
It's a good idea to try to hide the tubes afterwards so they don't look at them. I have had a few people begin to feel woozy after witnessing the tubes afterward.
The funny thing is that when I am talking someone through a blood draw I'm really good at making up conversation but in a social situation, not so much lol!!!!
girlparamed

Postby happyexaminer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 pm

My favorite was the guy who passed out on me-- while I was counting his PULSE!!! He was a trip. Total drama queen. On that short list of "never going back to THAT house."

And I did have someone pass out on me while they were laying down. College kid, dehydrated, apartment was hot, very freaked out.

Women don't faint, but they do cry/freak out more...

And, someone please explain to me why the heavily tattooed and pierced people will freak out on needles? Hello? When I get someone who looks like an extra from Miami Ink, they're either totally freaking out on me, or just don't care. Never get the perfectly normal "a little nervous" reation.
happyexaminer

Next

Return to General Discussion