Working for more than 1 company?

Dedicated to providing information for examiners who are just getting started.

Working for more than 1 company?

Postby jefferstracy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 am

Hello everyone!

I'm a 4month old new examiner! I love the job...but need more work. I've read that many work for several different companies. I'd like to inquire about that. I work for 1 of the big 4 companies...right now I'm the only examiner in my area that works for them. At the time being...I'm actually considering getting a second job, or changing careers. I'd hate to do that, since I do love my job very much. I love meeting new people everyday. How would I go about contracting out with another company at the same time? I would think they wouldn't want to hire me knowing I already work for their competitor. Any suggestions?
jefferstracy

Re: Working for more than 1 company?

Postby pdirector » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:42 pm

So much of this depends on the area you are in and the ability for the exam companies to easily find other examiners. If there are 50 examiners in your area, then you are right that companies prefer to work with examiners that are more "dedicated" to one company. However, this is usually not a luxury the exam companies have and most are realistic about understanding that you are a contractor and will work for as many companies as you need to stay busy.

My recommendation is just to reach out to all the companies in your area and national companies you know and let them know you are available and want work and have some experience. Again, depending on the area you live in and your skill as an examiner, you should be able to pick up at least 1-2 additional contracts and increase your business.
pdirector

Return to New Examiners